Authority or Rebel: Who Will Win?

In One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey, there is an interesting growing conflict between Randle McMurphy and Nurse Ratched. Nurse Ratched, who’s kind of a control freak, wants everything running smoothly, and everything should be exactly how she wants it. However, McMurphy does not like to play by the rules, and he’s used to being in charge. He does not like the way the mental facility is being operated, and how the patients have turned out to be. What is really ironic is that he is rebelling by not rebelling, which seems counterintuitive, but only time will tell if his approach will work. I think this conflict will become more interesting as the book goes on.

So far, there are two characters I am considering to analyze. Randle Patrick McMurphy is such an interesting character because he’s so different from all the other patients, since he’s actually not mentally ill, and has a will to rebel against authority. Chief Bromden is also incredibly interesting, as he has a vague yet intriguing backstory, acts like he is deaf and dumb for some reason, and has an overactive imagination that makes him hallucinate. His hallucinations seem to play a large role, and they could potentially be analyzed. It also makes me ponder why Kesey chose to tell the story through Chief Bromden’s point of view, since he is not as important to the general plot line.   

McMurphy’s rebellious character is shown when he says to the other patients, “The rest are even scared to open up and laugh. You know, that’s the first thing that got me about this place, that there wasn’t anybody laughing. I haven’t heard a real laugh since I came through that door, do you know that? Man, when you lose your laugh you lose your footing. A man go around lettin’ a woman whup him down till he can’t laugh any more, and he loses one of the biggest edges he’s got on his side” (Kesey 70). The importance he gives to the simple act of laughing and the dislike for the woman that prevents the others from doing so proves that his character clashes with authority, and that his personality is quite different than all the others.

What I do not love, however, about One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, is that it is sometimes difficult to differentiate Bromden’s imagination and hallucinations with reality. Of course, there are times when it’s clearly obvious, but then there are also times when it’s very vague and hard to separate. I know this was a conscious decision on Kesey’s side, but I’m not sure I like it. These imaginations/hallucinations are also getting longer as the book goes on, and I’m not enjoying that because it does not add to the story.

However, I truly do appreciate the way he builds the tension within the story and the characters, because it makes the plot more interesting. The story could easily become boring without the added tension in the conflict. In addition, telling the story from the first person perspective of Chief Bromden, instead of third person omniscient or even McMurphy’s first person, gives the story a new flavor which would not have been there from a normal point of view.

4 thoughts on “Authority or Rebel: Who Will Win?

1. I’m not reading this book but I think the idea of “rebelling by not rebelling” is really interesting and sounds like it makes for an exciting story. The added excitement of McMurphy being out of place also sounds suspenseful, and like it could be a potential topic for your essay. You could research how mental illnesses were identified and treated at the time, and maybe explain how this sort of thing could happen. I think these hospitals sound really scary and depressing, especially after reading that quote about not being able to laugh. An environment like that sounds like it could drive even a sane person mad. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book, because so far it sounds really interesting!

2. I completely agree with you that Chief Bromden’s hallucinations are super confusing and vague, but honestly they could not even be hallucinations. Especially when the whole ward is mechanically lowered into the depths of the building, and Bromden sees horrible sights he can’t even fathom, it could be real. With the way Nurse Ratched is portrayed as sometimes inhuman, anything is possible for the rest of this book. In regards to McMurphy and his laughing, I think it’s really illustrated the striking effect he has on the ward when the fog Chief Bromden seems caught in dissipates due to McMurphy’s effect. I conclusion, although at some points I have been concealed in utter confusion while reading this book, I am excited for the rest of the story and hope you are as well.

3. I find it really interesting that we have such different opinions about the book. While I definitely understand the frustration of such scatterbrained narration, I find it more intriguing than anything else. We do agree though on the unique effects of telling the story from Chief’s point of view, which is awesome! I also agree with you on how fascinating McMurphy’s character is, as he is ironically the odd one out in an institution for oddballs, and he is so bent on not doing what he’s supposed to. I can’t wait to continue discussing this insightful novel with you!

4. Meghana,

This is a beautiful post that offers insight you should be proud of!! It’s evident you are immersed in your reading, and interpreting it with your own connections. I can’t wait to see what you come up with once you start the research process!!